- This event has passed.
Ground Zero – One Fallacy, one shot
January 28, 2017 @ 6:00 pm
HAPI proudly presents our first event for 2017: a debate tournament…with a twist.
This January 28, we want to see which is more dominant: a debater’s pride, or his/her thirst for alcohol and expression of choice. We’re looking for 16 brave souls who are willing to take on this challenge. Up for it? Shoot us a PM.
Come one, come all. This is GROUND ZERO.
1. The tournament shall be composed of six rounds.
Round 1: 8 simultaneous one-on-one elimination rounds.
Round 2: 4 simultaneous quarterfinal rounds.
Rounds 3 and 4: Semifinalists shall then be pitted against each other in two debates (not simultaneous).
Round 5: Championship round.
2. The debate is one on one, using a modified British Parliamentary format. Each debater shall speak twice as PM/DPM and LO/DLO. The language shall be English. Each speech will last for 5-7 minutes, without interruptions or points of information.
3. Each logical fallacy the adjudicator spots shall compel the offending debater to take one shot of alcohol. Between rounds, participating debaters drink for free.
4. The winners for each round shall be determined both by the adjudicators of the match, and by the members of the audience.
5. Audience votes shall make up 50% of the decision. Audience members are entitled to one drink and one vote, but they can order more through the organizers and get more votes. Every drink ordered is worth one vote.