My Disaster Survival Kit
by Shawn Evans V. Quiming
Malolos City, Bulacan
How well prepared are you for a disaster?
Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you our survival kit.
This was prepared by my cousin two years ago. It contains all the basic supplies to help us in case an emergency happens. It even has a first aid kit that will last for five years! But for safety purposes, we always open it to check from time to time.
What do we have inside this covered pail?
- Ready to eat foods ( protein bars, noodles, biscuits, pasta, monggo, rice, and canned goods).
- Bottled water
- Sanitation Kit
- First Aid Kit
And if you are curious why we put it in a pail, it’s because we can use the pail for keeping water. My cousin also made us identification cards with our name, blood type, contact person for emergencies, and emergency hotlines.
Attached to our IDs are small flashlights and whistles that should come in handy when needed.
Are we just being paranoid? No. We are being prepared. These past few months we have been experiencing different kinds of disasters be it natural or manmade. Just recently Mt. Taal erupted this year and earthquakes were felt in different parts of the country. Not to mention the number of typhoons that pass by the Philippines each year! A survival kit could be a matter of life and death.
Being said that, we should always be prepared and vigilant. We cannot sit around and do nothing just because nothing has happened yet.
To prevent disasters, here are also some tips for you and for your family to be safe:
1. Stay informed. Watch the news on television or listen to the radio for any updates.
2. Emergency kit. Always bring one with you for emergencies.
3. Get supplies ready. Eg. biscuits, canned goods, rice, and water.
4. Find the safest place, know the location and the nearest evacuation center.
5. Critical thinking, do leave the house if the rescue team is already telling you to.
6. Know the EMERGENCY HOTLINES, it is better to know all the emergency hotlines, you can call them if there is a problem or if you need help.
7. Don’t panic. Never panic in an emergency situation. Always remain calm.
Natural disasters are terrifying. And it’s not because some deity is trying to punish mankind. They happen because of weather or natural conditions that are oftentimes out of our control. We might feel helpless to stop it but we can arm ourselves with knowledge and be ready for it. And when they do happen, remember that things will eventually go back to normal after a disaster strikes.