Staying Sane in 2020
Dade City, Florida
As the New Year approaches, I always reflect on the past year, the good, the bad and the ugly and the possibilities for the New Year. This year is no different . . . but then again, maybe it is. One thing that stands out to me from 2019 over pretty much any other year of my life is that we are definitely living in “Crazy Times”. Crazy times hits me in the face every day. I read about it and watch TV and see the craziness we live in today. Be it the American President, the BREXIT exit the UK, the North Korean insane leadership, Pakistan’s’ poorly secured nuclear arsenal, terrorism in the middle east and SE Asia, the EU on the verge of collapse and the divided American nation like nothing seen since America’s Civil War. So to help me recover from 2019 and survive 2020, I recommend that we all consider the following :
- Don’t add to this crazy world. Let’s try and be civil to those who we disagree. I find myself being disagreeable when I should only disagree. I find this especially true with people of faith.
- Have deep conversations with your friends and loved ones. Connect with those important to you.
- Put down your cell phone.
- Act with integrity always, even when those around you don’t.
- Slow down and enjoy life.
- Read for knowledge and fun.
- Limit news intake. Sometimes in this crazy world we live just hearing about the craziness can make it worse. Be informed, but not inundated.
- Be civil.
- Be kind.
- Spend less than you make.
- Invest your time in experiences and people, not stuff.
- Tell those you love that you love them.
- Love humanity.
- Be a humanist.
Life can be crazy, especially in the times we live in. I think if we all put forth the effort and maybe follow some of my suggestions we will get through 2020 better than we did in 2019. Happy New Year and may we be the best humanists we can be.